MHA’s Workers’ Compensation Reciprocal traces its origins to 1992, when a self-insured trust was formed to provide members of MHA with a stable and reliable source for workers’ compensation coverage. Fast-forward, in 2005, the trust was changed to a captive reciprocal insurance structure to better serve the membership. Unlike traditional insurance companies whose focus is mainly on generating profits, our primary mission is to provide members with an option that contains their total cost of risk. We provide our members with a robust workplace safety and risk management program which takes a proactive approach and aims to prevent incidents from occurring in the first place. In the event a claim does happen, aggressive claims management ensures claims are resolved quickly and fairly, encouraging early return to work when possible.
Focus on Prevention
Our strong focus is to help members improve workplace safety to prevent workers’ compensation related claims. This emphasis on safety assists members to reduce both the frequency and severity of accidents there lowering their total cost of risk as it relates to workers’ compensation. Our Loss Control Representative study your five year loss trends, identify areas of exposure unique to your organization and work with your staff to develop action plans to mitigate the potential for losses. Brentwood Services Administrators provides an initial on-site visit for all prospective Subscribers to establish a clear understanding of loss control needs and then provides a minimum of quarterly on-site visits to each Subscriber’s facility to evaluate risk management concerns, measure progress on action plans, and make recommendations.
Claims Management Services
Claims management is designed to support Subscribers when a claim is filed. The experienced staff at Brentwood Services Administrators first establishes communication with all involved parties. The claims manager then conducts a comprehensive review of the circumstances surrounding the incident; this process is designed to protect the claimant and the Subscribers’ organization. All facts are evaluated to determine the merit of the claim, establish reserves, and if necessary, enlist legal services. Early-return-to-work is encouraged when appropriate.
Risk Management Services
- On-site visits which include complete hazard surveys
- Spring conference education opportunities
- Quarterly loss prevention activities
- Reporting on loss, frequency and trends
- Special training upon request
- Face to face review of claims
- Safety materials, toolbox safety topics and safety videos specific to hospitals are readily available
- Assistance in training new employees/HR personnel for Workers’ Compensation purposes
Subscriber Savings Accounts
Since the MHA Workers’ Compensation Reciprocal is not a traditional insurance company where profits are typically distributed to executives as bonuses and as dividends to shareholders, any excess funds not needed to pay claims and operate the Reciprocal are returned to Subscribers in cash or premium credits.
The Advantages of a Reciprocal
- Workers’ Compensation by and for members of MHA
- Clear understanding of the safety challenges of hospitals and clinics
- Active safety programs to prevent losses and enhance productivity
- Aggressive claims management to mitigate claim costs
- Ongoing support and communications throughout the year
- Return of funds not needed through Subscriber Savings Allocations
- Long-term price stability and product availability
- An organization focuses on containing the total cost of risk
Contact: Kim Weins, (406) 442-1911, email@example.com