Budget and Medicaid
Ensure that essential healthcare services are available in all communities by protecting vital state funding for Medicaid. With the exception of Medicare, Medicaid is the largest healthcare insurer in the state, which makes it the largest state-funded program for providers.
- Support the continuation of the Medicaid Expansion program
- Support full funding of the current Medicaid program to avoid service or payment reductions
- Support provider rate increases equivalent to the rate of inflation
- Support the continuation of the Hospital Utilization Fee (HUF) for both inpatient (hospital “bed tax”) and outpatient services
- Support full funding of senior and post-acute care services costs
The state’s budget problems almost certainly will dominate the 2021 session. As always, MHA will be closely following funding issues for health and human services and education.
- Closely monitor State revenue/projections
- Oppose unnecessary health and human services cuts
- Oppose unnecessary university system funding cuts that impact health professions education
- Support, as appropriate, alternate revenue opportunities for the state
- Support EMS reimbursement equal to Medicare rates
Rural Hospital Designations
Adopt any new federal-level rural hospital designations designed to protect rural communities’ access to care.
- Support legislation (if needed) to recognize a new Medicare designation that provides enhanced reimbursement for emergency and outpatient services without requiring inpatient care.
MHA has long advocated that every Montanan should be protected from health insurance fraud and inappropriate coverage issues. MHA will monitor proposed insurance legislation that could negatively impact individuals and/or healthcare organizations across the state.
- Oppose barriers to coverage
- Support promotion of insurance exchange
- Monitor limiting policy coverage
- Oppose any effort to “price-fix” or impose a reference-based model